The first episode of American Horror Story: Coven, FX's horror series, aired last night and a Garden District mansion had a starring role. The Buckner Mansion is the fictitious Miss Robichaux's Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies. The 20,000-square foot estate was built in 1856 for cotton king Henry S. Buckner and was home to the Soulé Business College from 1923 until the 1970s. Now? Of course, film crews flock to the site but it's also available as a vacation rental for, ahem, just $20,000 per month. American Horror Story has been filming around town since July and will stick around until January 2014.
· Film crews outside of Buckner Mansion [hammer-and-heels.com]
· Buckner Mansion photos [Old New Orleans]
· Buckner Mansion vacation rental [triprents]
· Other New Orleans houses on the air [Curbed NOLA]
· American Horror Story: Coven [official site]